Historic District contains outstanding examples of
houses and commercial buildings constructed in the
late-eighteenth and early-nineteenth centuries.
A wayfarer passing here in the spring
of 1860 wrote flatteringly of the attractive homes.
"As a general thing,"
he noted, "the country villages of our state
are far from presenting a thriving cultivated appearance...but
the citizens of this borough may well challenge any
section...to produce a place of the same size containing
more handsome residences."
The writer knew nothing of Murfreesboro's
past, but intuition provided him with a sure sense
of the stamp of history on the texture of the community.
That same sense occurs to many of today's visitors.
The Murfreesboro Historic District encompasses
a large part of the town. Most of the district and
the properties we own are north of Main Street between
Wynn Street on the west and Third Street on the east.
Additionally, the MHA offices are located in the Roberts-Vaughan
House which is on Main Street at Wynn Street.
The Association is happy to offer
to the public conducted tours of major sites in the
Historic District. The six venues are:
Rea Museum (ca 1790),
• Evans Tin Shop
Law Office and Country Store (ca 1870),
• Vincent-Deale Blacksmith
• John Wheeler House
Note: The buildings and grounds
that create the historic village atmosphere may present
barriers for visitors with disabilities. We are working
hard to provide easy access wherever possible and
to tailor our tours and presentations to the needs
of all our visitors.